An understanding of the hallmarks of aging is at the heart Dr. Nick Bitz's mission to achieve a long healthy life. The hallmarks are the functional mechanisms - such as mitochondrial health - that drive the aging process. The challenge is to identify how lifestyle interventions can be implemented to mitigate the decline in biological resilience of the human body. Dr. Bitz is a Los Angeles-based naturopathic doctor specializing in integrative medicine. He works alongside other medical practitioners, biohackers and scientists - collectively called the Neurohacker Collective - with the common goal of optimizing our quality of life.
In this interview we cover:
- The mission to improve people's lives and optimize human performance
- Defining nootropics - cognitive enhancers - and their role in everyday health
- Dr. Bitz's health journey as a naturopathic physician specializing in Ayurveda
- What it means to be 'holistic'
- How dietary supplements can be used as a "tool" for longevity
- Covid, flu and immunity
- The Nine Hallmarks of Aging and why they matter
- Embracing senolytics, a new class of drugs to rejuvenate and regenerate the body's cells
- The "critical" importance of exercise
- The evidence that shows that a lifespan of 120 is "absolutely achievable"
- Panchakarma as a detox therapy
- Meditation, sun salutations and breathing exercises
- Reasons to aspire for longevity