Feb 26, 2022
1 mins read
The stakes today are as high as they can get. In order to understand why, we need to go back to the basics of military strategy.
1. The End Of MAD : AI can ensure first mover advantage. Autonomous Weapons don’t need to kill people to undermine stability and make catastrophic war more likely: an itchier trigger finger might just do.
2. Use It Or Lose It : We don’t have to look far back into our history to know what most nations would do if a weaponised A.I is created. Leaders will want to A) test it, B) make billion-dollar investments seem worth it and C) show the world that they're not to be messed with.
3. The Dehumanisation of war : Emotions such as sadness and anger is what makes us human in both times of war and peace. Mercy is an inherent and vital part of us, and the arrival of lethal autonomous weapon systems threatens to de-humanize victims of war.
4. Losing Control : The most decisive factor on the battlefield of the future may be the quality of each side’s algorithms, and combat may speed up so much that humans can no longer keep up.
5. Dumb Bots : AI research shows how behaviour can emerge that is much more unpredictable than the sum of individual actions. It is unlikely we will ever fully understand or control certain types of robots. Knowing that some have guns is a good reason to ask for oversight.