This week started with big news, the release of Godot 3.2.

Including some nice features, i.e. a AStar2D class – which gives me the chance to optimize the algorithm I am planning to use for the random dungeon generator. Before this update I needed to use the previous implementation of AStar, which works but uses 3-dimensional vectors, even in 2D games. So in order to make that work I needed to fake the 3rd dimension by setting every z-coordinate equal to zero. This worked fine but isn't really necessary in terms of resource management.


The new release also included an implementation of WebRTC. A websocket based networking protocol. Something I didn't knew I will need, but turned out to be a huge game changer. Over the week I have been trying to figure out how to make use of Godot's UDP networking tools. But it turned out to be really hard to work with the packets sent by Godot. It uses a binary serialization I did not understand and didn't find any support for.

For more details, see my Reddit post.


I also started to work on the GUI for skill trees.



The planned skill trees are:

  • Fire
  • Water
  • Earth
  • Physical
  • Death